1. The City of Edmonton recognizes that the privacy and confidentiality of a person's personal information is important. All personal information is managed according to the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (the "Act") . This means that:
1. 01 You will be informed, at the point of collection, that your personal information is being collected and the purpose for which it is being collected;
1. 02 You have a right of access to your information;
1. 03 You have control over how the City obtains, uses, and discloses your personal information;
1. 04 All uses of information are subject to you not having refused or withdrawn consent, unless disclosure is made for legal purposes.
2. Even if you do nothing more during your visit than browse through the City's Edmonton Stories web site, read pages, or download information, please be aware that the City automatically gathers and stores certain information about your visit. This information does not identify you personally. The City collects and stores only the following information about your visit:
2. 01 The Internet domain and Internet Protocol (IP) address from which you access the City's web site;
2. 02 The type of browser and operating system used to access the City's site;
2. 03 The date and time you access the City's site;
2. 04 The pages you visit on the City's site; and
2. 05 If you are linked to the Edmonton Stories web site from another web site, the address of that web site.
2. The City of Edmonton uses electronic "cookies." A cookie is a small amount of data that is transferred to your browser by a web server. It cannot be executed as code or deliver viruses. A session ID, along with time and date and other information may be placed in the cookie. This information is used to provide the user with an enriched experience while using the City's web site. In order for a cookie to be written to your computer, cookies must be enabled by your browser. Most browsers are initially set to accept cookies. You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether to accept it. If you decide to refuse a cookie, you may find that the web site does not behave as designed.
3. If you choose to provide the City with personal information in an e-mail or by filling out an electronic form or in any other manner as part of your participation in the Edmonton Stories Contest and submit it to the City through our web site, the City will use that information to respond to your message and to assist us to provide you the requested information or service , including facilitating your participation in the Edmonton Stories Contest. If you subsequently withdraw your consent for this use of your personal information, you may be disqualified as a participant in the Contest.
4. E-mail messages are subject to the Act. The personal information you share with the City of Edmonton is provided only to those areas that are required to carry out the business that relates to you. All e-mail messages sent or received are the property of the City of Edmonton and may be accessed by department heads or their delegates without further consent of the author. All e-mail messages required to be retained by law will be printed and maintained through a records management process.
5. Security measures are implemented in order that web services remain available to all users. The City of Edmonton computer system employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify attempts to tamper with information, or to otherwise cause damage.
For more information:
City Clerk, FOIP Manager
City of Edmonton,
3rd Floor, City Hall,
1 Sir Winston Churchill Square,
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2R7
Email: [email protected]